My friend who doesn't blog anymore Dave has given me plenty of good advice over the years but one of the big things that stuck with me was making your goals manageable. Its easy to say 'eat healthy' or 'get more exercise' but in order to make your goal more realistic and more manageable (and therefore more achievable) you should make your goals more specific. Instead of 'get more exercise' make your goal 'exercise three times a week for 30 minutes'. Now your goal is defined and you can feel good about doing it!
Using this method its easier to feel good about accomplishing it. If your goal is simply 'get more exercise' you will probably never feel like you are doing good enough. BUT with a defined goal you can exercise three times a week and accomplish exactly what you set out to do.
Here are my big picture goals -
1. - Learn more about web design. start by overhauling this blog.
2. - Buy a condo/home
3. - New car!
4. - Eat healthier
5. - Spend less money
6. - Keep the apartment tidy
7. - Go to bed earlier
8. - Drink more water
And here my specific goals so I can feel good about my accomplishments THIS week and be one step closer to my big picture goals.
- No buying lunch (4)(5)
- Contribute to an RRSP (2)
- Get off the internet at 10pm (7)
- Re-list my car for less money on craigslist, kijiji and autotrader (3)
- make at least one large dinner (probably pasta) that can be eaten for leftovers (4)(5)
- Spend 10 minutes in the morning cleaning the apartment (6)
- Go to the library for a book on webdesign/look for tutorials online (1)
- Look for a larger water bottle/cup for the office (8)
Do you have any goal setting tricks that help you? I would love to hear about them!