Monday, February 20, 2012

Little Bee


By: Chris Cleave

I started reading this book around Christmas time when I had a little free time and its embarrassing to say that its taken me this long to finish it. I am a pretty fast reader, and LOVE to read but it seemed like life just got in the way. I absolutely did enjoy this book though. It was just the kind of story I like to read, thoughtful, descriptive, adventurous and full of anticipation and turns in the plot.

However, it did lack that sort of pull that grips my mind and makes me pick up the book at any chance, or read wellllll past my bed time. although it was good, it wasn't 'i can't imagine putting this down until I read the last page' good.


Here is the prelude to the novel, I think it sums it up well:

We dont want to tell you what happens in this book.
Its a truly special story and we dont want to spoil it,
Nevertheless, you need to know enough to buy it, so we will just say this:
This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again - the story starts there...
Once you have read it, you'll want to tell you friends about it. when you do, please don't tell them what happens. the magic is in how the story unfolds.

As I mentioned above, I live for a novel with descriptive, engaging text that paints beautiful pictures in my mind. Little Bee did not dissapoint on this....read for yourself....

It was a bright morning, I told you this already. It was the month of May and there was warm sunshine dripping through the holes between the clouds like the sky was a broken blue bowl and a child was trying to keep honey in it.


What is an adventure? That depends on where you are starting from. Little girls in your country, they hide in the gap between the washing machine and the regrigerator and they make believe they are in the jungle, with green snakes and monkeys all around them. Me and my sister, we used to hid in a gap in the jungle, with green snakes and monkeys all around us, and make believe that we had a washing machine and refridgerator. You live in a world of machines and you dream of things with beating hearts. We dream of machines, because we see where beating hearts have left us.

I'm looking for my next novel and would love to have a few to take on holidays with me if you have any suggestions.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...